Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Farewell Bluff next stop Dunedin

    December 20, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    Not a very interesting drive from Bluff. 3.5 hours of greenness, rolling hills and sheep. I can't help but think the first English/ Scottish settlers must have thought they had found another England. It is so green and lush, of course it has been cleared of trees since then.

    The drive is uneventful, we drop the car off and taxi to our hotel. Really good hotel and central. We have a one bedroom suite consisting of three rooms, microwave, crockery etc and a washing machine and dryer - very handy after nine days and only $280 pn NZ. After the tiny room in Bluff I think this is good value.

    It's a lovely sunny day so it's good to get out and walk. Dunedin is a bit of a surprise. It has many historic, well maintained buildings suggesting wealth at some point in time. Wealth from gold but the gold rush only lasted about 30 years. The railway station is a must see although no longer a serious option for travel between cities old trains operate for tourists just not sure where to.

    Unlike yesterday, today is cold and damp, 13o when we head out. Bob is keen to take more pictures of the buildings. Three layers and a scarf and I am ready.
    Read more