Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Doubtful and Milford Sound

    December 26, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    We left dusky sound and sailed through doubtful sound in the evening. This is quite a special place and no wonder it's a world heritage site.

    Boxing day. Today's zodiac ride fortunately starts at 9:00 a.m. again, we have been really lucky, it was raining when we got up but by the time we went out the sun was peeking through, on our return it was quite sunny. Having been warned to expect rain this was a surprise. Milford Sound is so spectacular and to see it without rain or clouds was such a privilege. Our zodiac ride took us around the sound. Slowly we go by waterfalls those created as a result of the morning's rainfall were called ephemeral waterfalls for obvious reasons, there were more permanent waterfalls some hundreds of meters high. We again marvel at the sheer cliff faces. We have only one hour but we do get to see so much of this. One out crop of rocks we see has something like 15 fur seals on it. We are told by our guide that the gaps between the cliffs were created by glaciers as they come through the rock face.

    Before we start our day we see a very large cruise ship. Also docked in the sound. The rain had not stopped before they leave, meaning the passengers have been in Milford sound but have not actually seen it.

    The day improves and the ship stays here for a couple more hours and enabling us to go to the upper deck and take in the scenery in even more sunshine. We really have been fortunate. It is impossible not to take pictures. The ship then sails towards the open ocean enabling us to see the end of the sound.
    Read more