Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6–9

    Next stop Paris (28-31)

    March 29 in France ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    It's Good Friday and we are in Paris. Tomorrow is my 70th birthday. Plan was for us to be in Amman, Jordon. The Middle East now a conflict zone put paid to that so we are going north instead. The decision to take Eurostar to Paris began to look a little wobbly once we reached St Pancras . We left the hotel at 8:30 to make sure that in the event there were any disruptions on the train line we would still make the train. We made it in time to sit down and have a very pleasant cup of coffee at the station with of course all our luggage. It was the Thursday before Easter and it seemed that everyone was wanting to travel which is expected.The went along way through the station and around the block. This was a little daunting at the time but it turned out many of the people were there for the previous train. We had been warned. We must turn up at least 30 minutes beforehand (our train was at 11:30) as the gate closes half an hour beforehand. We joined the queue at around 10:30 and it took almost until 11:30 before we are able to board the train. The waiting area was chaotic as the train before was late. I couldn't help but reflect on the fact that we were at Heathrow airport and could have so easily have flown and then taken another train to Gare du Nord.

    Not much point reflecting on that. However, when we had already bought tickets and we were on our way. Very uneventful the train ride very much like any other fast train you come across in Europe. The train arrived pretty much on time and we stepped out, cross the street and were at our hotel '25 hours'.

    This chain of hotels presents a more quirky experience for travellers, then for example the Hilton. Bob commented that there is a fine line between quirky and functional and quirky and inconvenient. We have stayed here before and had an excellent room, this time however, although the room was spacious it was only because there was a small hallway between the toilet and the bedroom. The decor was very much a throwback to what might otherwise be regarded as junk. A functioning record player on top of tin trunks formed a table. However, it wasn't as if we were going to spend much time in the room and it was comfortable. The breakfast room overlooks the station and on a nice day it is a lovely place to sit, unfortunately the weather was not kind to us, drizzly and overcast.

    The location is excellent because apart from the train which takes you directly to Charles de Gaulle airport, it is surrounded by a number of small restaurants. We dine in one of those and crash early.

    The big day has arrived, I have turned 70. We are still tired both from jet lag and the travel we have done up to this point. Bob has on numerous occasions asked me what I want for my birthday I have no idea, given many of us who reach this age do not have a need for anything much. One idea comes to mind, given we are in Paris a nice trinker to remember the day is what I settle on. Unsurprisingly, after all these years together, Bob picks up on the idea that that just might be something involving jewellery, which of course is what I had in mind. He has already googled local potential jewellery shops and we head off to gaze in windows to fnd something suitable. This takes us to a part of Paris, little India, where there are numerous shops selling sarees and wedding jewellery. Not quite what I had in mind. The struggle I have is I want something that doesn't look cheap or fake, isn't overly ostentatious but at least is a small statement piece, I know a tall order. Fortunately the first shop window I looked in had a pair of earrings I liked and at a price that I thought was not excessive. We headd back there and purchase my trinket.

    That task completed we head out for a walk in an area that unfamiliar to us. We had towards the canal and the day does brighten a little bit. After quite a long walk we find a small local bar and stop for lunch. It was very local and the food was good.

    The next task is to get ourselves to Charles de Gaulle airport where we will spend the evening before an early flight the next day to Tromso. I suggested we leave the luggage at the hotel given it was close by rather than standing acute with suitcases. It is the Saturday before Easter and it seems everyone in Paris is wanting to catch a train to somewhere and for whatever reason there are no staff selling tickets and no staff helping with the machines which dispense a small paper ticket. It's hard to imagine this can possibly be worth their while given most modern cities and train systems will accept a credit card at the gate. Not Paris. We staying in a queue for 40 minutes and with the help of a local succeed in buying our two tickets and we head out to the airport.

    Dinner in the hotel to celebrate my birthday and early to bed before having to rise at 5:30 to catch our flight.
    Read more