Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 74–81

    Beyond Karamea

    January 13 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    With great sadness we left Karamea.
    The other side of the mountain is a campsite called Gentle Annie’s, highly rated we decided to stay a couple of nights. This would have been a great site outside of school holidays but it was heaving and the facilities did not stand up to the pressure. That said we did a pleasant bush walk, the Bali style showers were really good and we made use of the woodfired pizza oven which produced great tasting pizzas.
    Two nights was enough though so onward towards Westport. We had heard that the road Denniston had been opened so we tried again. Well worth the effort! This town on the top of the hill grew up around the coal mines. Only a handful of houses there now but lots of history and fantastic views. The coal was carried down to the coast in overhead wagons. (Aerial ropeway) A bit like cable cars but carrying coal. As always just amazing engineering.
    Another couple of nights at Westport where we visited our first AP show, agricultural and pastoral. Like our agricultural shows with the addition of speed log cutting and axe throwing competitions. Fairground rides were very old fashioned. Could have been Beamish.
    Read more