Satellite
  • Day 3

    Colmar Christmas Markets

    December 21, 2019 in France ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    On the way to the a Christmas Markets this morning, we walked past Little Venice, which was about a minute walk from where we were staying. Its a beautiful little area, especially with all the Christmas lights and decorations, but of course it was crowded. At least we managed to get a nice picture there!

    The Christmas Markets were exactly how I had pictured them to be, I was just surprised that there were so many of them! There were stalls that sold Christmas decorations, pretzels, mulled wine, cheese, meats and other types of foods. We stopped by a pretzel store and got some cheese pretzels and a donut looking one. Some of the markets had rides for children and even a little pen with goats in them.

    We stopped by the Church while strolling through the many Christmas markets in the area. My brother in law is from Colmar, so it was nice to have him give us the history and information of the places we visited (and of course translate!). The church we visited was built in the 1100s, and you can see a giant storks nest just on the very top of it. There were a few grave sites still remaining around the church, but of course they have been emptied out to construct other buildings around the church.

    By the time we finished walking through most of the markets, it was about 5pm and it was already starting to get quite dark. We had a lovely home cooked meal made by my brother in laws parents. Tried out some of the many cheeses that were brought from the farmers markets earlier in the day - my absolute favourite was the Brie with truffle on the inside! That particular cheese is a specialty usually only made for Christmas, and costs about 80 euros per kg. It's totally worth the price!

    After dinner, we walked back through some of the markets to get to our air bnb. It was nice seeing the markets at night too, with all the decorations lit up. We walked past Little Venice again, but this time there were 4 swans in the river which made it look even more fairytale like.
    Read more