Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Crossing the Arctic circle

    July 6, 2018 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    This morning we got up early as we were crossing the Arctic circle about 7am. Last evening the passengers were invited to submit a time when they thought this would happen, including the hour, the minute and the second. The Arctic circle is marked by a hollow globe on a small island.
    During the morning we proceeded on toward Boda past some impressive scenery. Some of the mountains appear quite close to the water.
    At Boda which has a population of 50,000 people we went on an Arctic Coastal Walk. The guide to this walk gave us a mixture of geology, agricultural and historical information. Apparently the beach could change in appearance quite considerably, and one day have lots of kelp whilst another day would just have sand. We were told that there had been a submerged coral reef in the vicinity, which contributed to the sand on the beach.
    We also came across a paddock of freshly baled hay. Due to the 24 hour light which happens above the Arctic circle, farmers can cut three lots of hay each summer. We also found cloud berries, which appeared very similar to strawberries.
    Read more