Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 168

    major update

    November 5, 2022 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    It’s not exactly easy traveling by land this days. We have to admit that the Russian - Ukraine war has a lot of impact on various countries. Gas as well as food is getting more expensive especially for people outside of Europe. The sanctions don’t stop at Russia … all the Russian dependent countries like Kasachstan or Kyrgyzstan are affected as well. Many trading routes are closed.

    Freighter are not traveling the regular routes plus the Iranian Revolution makes this part of the world impossible to cross. We talked with travelers who recently left Iran because they didn’t want to put host families at risk. The government is using every excuse to put people in jail or let them disappear. Especially those who were "influenced by western culture".

    Other travelers like us are trying to get on an a boat to Egypt and then cross the Suez Canal waiting in Jeddah for a boat to India. The chances are small. Others applied for permanent residency in Turkey and try to work there until Iran is open again.

    We decided not to take the route through Russia. (Georgia, Abkhazia, then Russia, Kazakhstan amd then somehow down). Because of several reasons but a good one is: winter with -30 degrees - is not particularly fun to hitchhike through those huge dimensions.

    So… long story short. We decided to take a plane to India! Yes, we do feel like we failed. Yes it wasn’t our plan to fly. Yes maybe we are too impatient to wait until the revolution is over. Yes this is clearly a privileged problem.

    Especially in Kurdistan we learned that it’s important to stay flexible and not creating problems when there are none.
    Read more