Satellite
  • Day 86

    Auckland

    July 14, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    We met Jamie and Abi for breakfast at the Ugly Bagel for awesome wood fired bagels that were made fresh before our eyes. A thick bright pink layer of salmon folded across a lick of cream cheese atop a warm sesame seed bun, all dressed in capers, dill and onion. The taste lingered in our mouths as we ate in front of an open fire. Office workers came and went as we reminisced on our time together in New Zealand and Jamie and Abi prepared themselves for their long journey home.

    After saying our final goodbyes we wandered into the city to collect our free Kiwi Experience t-shirts from their office. Whilst there we met Kane, our affable and knowledgable driver, who took us down the west coast of the South Island, what now seems, months ago. It was great to catch up and we came away basking in the memories of our own 'kiwi experience'.

    The wind threw itself around us, scattering brown dead leaves to scratch their way across the pavement, as we walked through wintery scenes along Queens Street. Children span on an open air ice rink whilst musicians danced in front of life size models of polar bears. When darkness descends and the decorative lights twinkle you could be forgiven for mistaking it for a festive season.

    As afternoon turned to evening the nostalgia of New Zealand began to slowly give way to the anticipation for Australia. Excitement brought a flurry of adrenaline as bags were emptied and reorganised, decisions made on what to keep and what to donate and flights and tick boxes checked. The next adventure awaited.
    Read more