Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 85

    Kiwi Exp. - Rotorua to Auckland

    July 13, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    Wrapped up against the morning chill we left our brilliant hostel and its owners to board our final bus back to Auckland. Driving through relatively flat green farming country, it was a contrast to the white mountainous landscapes we have become accustomed to during our time on the South Island. Slowly making our way through the traffic into Auckland reminded us of how busy it was compared to the rest of the country, even the capital Wellington. One third of the country's entire population is condensed into the city and its suburbs.

    Driving through the city streets we saw many people wrapped up against the cold but for us it was comparatively warm to what we had experienced over the previous weeks. It was evocative of our great experiences in New Zealand to be back at our old hostel and pass places where we had first met Pierrick, Jamie and Abi.

    As it was Jamie and Abi's last night in New Zealand before heading home to Manchester we went out for dinner at Monsoon Poon where we ate Vietnamese summer rolls, Thai jumbo prawns, Indian butter chicken and Nasi Goreng (think Indonesian paella), all washed down with beer and cocktails. It might not have been Kiwi cuisine but it was a great way to celebrate the end of our adventure together as well as a taster of South Asian cuisine to come.
    Read more