Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    London Baby

    July 10, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Tom was desperate to spend the day soaking up some Wimbledon atmosphere, so Tracy kindly drove us to the celebrity entrance of tje All England Tennis and Crochet club, aka Wimbledon. We jumped out of the car and saw the paparazzi eager to catch a snap of anyone remotely famous. Unfortunately that didn't include us. We waited for a little while and watched them photograph people that we didn't know (although the crowds did) and we walked on. Down the hill drove a grey Ferrari with some famous golfer Tom knew. I'm sure if we waited long enough we would have seen some royals, but let's be honest, apart from Will and Harry, I'd struggle to know who they were- perhaps we even saw some...
    The first thing I noticed about Wimbledon was that everyone dressed up. I'm not talking a nice top and pants, I mean my very best dress with new heals wouldn't have been dressy enough, there were men in suits with pocket squares! We decided it must be like the races. There were a few more casual participants but not many.
    Tom was so pleased that he had chosen today to come to the tennis. All the big names were playing; Federer, Murray, Nadal, Djocavitch and even Williams. I felt bad reminding him that we didn't have a ticket! And even if we did, kids weren't even allowed in, and we had two to get rid of.
    We saw some tickets for sale for £3000 each and bought them on the spot. Just kidding!!! We did see that the only remaining tickets were £3000 and I had to talk tom out of them. He gets caught up in the moment but I don't think even he would
    pay that much. We instead decided to join the queue for cheap entry. We walked for about a km to get to the line noting along our walk that the line was as long as our walk and snaked on past the official gate. At one gate we overheard that the people waiting in line were up to number 6600 and those people waiting had been in line for five hours and were nowhere near the front!!!
    Tom's Wimbledon dreams came crashing down. There was no chance of him getting in.
    We walked to the station taking photos along the way of people selling food in their front yards, or cars with heavily tinted back windows that must have someone exciting inside.
    We caught a train into town and quickly found a pub for lunch. Nothing like pub grub when in London Town. Then for some crazy reason we were walking into M&M world. Why oh why were we back in M&M world?! Apparently it was because Samuel "needed" some caramel M&M's.
    The fake chocolate smell was sickening, and they didn't even have caramel M&M's! They hadn't launched in England yet. Sammy was close to tears as I refused to buy more- we still had some at home from the NY M&M trip!!!
    We consoled him with the promise of ice cream, and on the corner of Rupert St and Archer St we found what we were looking for. Samuel had raspberry sorbet, Adalia had strawberry sorbet, Tom had ricotta and caramel and I had watermelon, cinnamon and Jasmin sorbet. It was just what we needed. We did a bit more walking and some shopping but we didn't want to be in the afternoon commuter crush, so left the city at 4:30pm. We were distracted along the way by a supermarket which soaked up some time, but back to the Scott's by 6pm for Nachos!
    Read more