Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Cologne

    September 11, 2022 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    Cologne was just a quick stop on our way to Switzerland. We had just enough time to check in, walk around town and grab dinner and a couple drinks. It looks like a great town even though it was raining. They desperately need the rain. The Rhine River is at record lows.

    Kolsch beer is the rage here, and they serve it in small narrow glasses. Too bad we're not staying longer because drinks are about half price compared to Denmark! For dinner, it was Sauerbraten for me and Salmon in
    a beurre Blanc sauce for Deanne, along with some German wines.

    Cologne's most famous landmark is it's gothic cathedral. We just made it inside before closing time. It's extremely tall and quite impressive. But after seeing a few of these, they tend to all look alike. I know.... sacriliege! After seeing that, we stumbled on a cafe called "Funk Haus" and of course Dr. Funkhouser and I HAD to stop in for a drink. Nobody in Iowa is quite sure, but they think it means Radio Station. We are asking several people what the surname means and have heard Radio Station and Fire Station. This cafe is named after the TV station that was in the building before. Maybe we'll find out in the Emmental valley of Switzerland where Deanne's family came from.

    More photos and videos are here. https://photos.app.goo.gl/CmhfqVJddU23wgAg7
    Read more