Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Gam over

    March 1, 2017 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Greetings dear reader. We have left the diving/ snorkelling resort on the island of Gam and currently are awaiting a flight to Manado on the larger island of Sulawesi. The resort turned out to exceed all reasonable expectations. A typical day was a waterside buffet breakfast, then off to two snorkelling reefs and back by a late lunch. Then an afternoon lazing about, cruising the reef at the resort or some minor expedition. The staff was really helpful everywhere including guiding the snorkelling. The resort, Papua Explorers, hosts some manta ray and other research efforts and does some local community building and marine preservation work. So it felt better spending the money here knowing some of it goes for good things. Accommodations were traditionally built individual "pandoks" over the water with sunset and sunrise views. The dive master, Hakim, has an interest in bicycle touring and may visit as part of a US trip.

    One rest day included some shoreline kayaking and then a hike to see some local birds of paradise display. After a long wait, three appeared high in a tree. Found only in these nearby islands, they have chicken-sized bodies, red feathers with a long tail. To top it off they have long trailing plumes about 3 times their length. When in the mood they dance by turning and twisting which we were also able to witness.

    Lots of water critters as I mentioned in an earlier posting. To add to that list are 4 foot long clams, bamboo sharks, huge bumphead parrotfish all served on beds of colorful corals.

    Attached are some pictures of the scene, including beach break coffee service and a sample of some of the great cloud formations here.

    On the last night the staff surprised me with a birthday celebration including song, cake with one candle for every 21 years. Included here is a photo of singers, their beers and the cake. Lots of fun.
    Read more