Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Blinky Beach

    February 9, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    A much cooler and less humid day after last night's high winds and rain. Whilst the lagoon still looks peaceful the strong breeze meant that the Pacific Ocean beaches were likely to be rough.
    Cycled along the Lagoon Road to the north against the wind which was really hard going and parked the bikes at Blinky Beach opposite the airport. Struggled up the steep sand dunes to a beach overlooking the sea.
    We were dumbstruck - yet another huge empty sweep of golden sand with rough waves crashing on the shore; the wind and the sound of the sea overwhelming us. The sea was truly turquoise, and the overtopping waves pure white. We sat and we sat spellbound by the beauty. How can one small island have so many areas, untouched and beautiful. This was the first World Heritage listed island and I can see why.
    A walk along the beach and back. Dozens of juvenile sooty terns waiting mournfully along the beach for their parents to return from a fishing trip. Not at all worried by our closeness.
    Later in the day a walk through the Kentia and Pandanus Palm forest towards Muttonbird point with idyllic glimpses of the beach far below. The tracks round here can be very steep and sometimes cling right to the edge of the cliff. This one did both and at one point had a rope on which to haul yourself up the path an experience we weren't expecting to have at our age!
    Late in the afternoon a trip to the Lagoon for a dip in the sea and for the old geologist to practice his snorkelling. Again no one else around, just us, the sea, the sun going down and the mountains dwarfing us all.
    How lucky are we.
    Read more