Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Quilotoa

    May 5, 2023 in Ecuador ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    We departed Quito and took our first long bus ride to Latacunga. The bus ride was crazy and involved many people hopping on and off the moving bus to try and sell things to you as well as a wild Thai Action movie with dubbed spanish. All in all, it was a very unique ride.

    After quickly dropping our bags off in Latacunga, we set off to Quilotoa with our epic guide/driver. Our driver stopped on the way up the mountain to pick up day old bread from the local market. Each time he goes to Quilotoa he gets this bread to throw out the window and feed the stray dogs. He had us doing that the whole way up which resulted in lots of flying bread and even more laughter! The drive was incredibly scenic and we stopped many times to take pictures. My two favourite stops were at the canyon and the viewpoint for the 7 peaks!

    Once we arrived at Quilotoa, we had an amazing lunch with honestly one of the best fish I have ever had. The first time seeing the lake was insane! It was so breathtaking that I had to ask the guide the Spanish word for amazing, beautiful, and spectacular. The lake is inside an inactive volcano and its vastness and beauty was awe-inspiring. We walked around and just marveled at the view for a while and honestly this was the moment where it really set in that I was living out a dream! I had seen the photos of this place many times but it is not even compared to the real thing! What an absolutely incredible day!
    Read more