Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    The Waterfall Route

    May 8, 2023 in Ecuador ⋅ 🌧 22 °C

    Today we biked the Waterfall Route. We rented bikes from our hotel and then set off on our journey (Angus was in charge of navigation...of course 😂). Luckily it was a very straight forward path that was mainly downhill and there were some bike paths. The bikes themselves were a little odd with some gears not changing properly and the kickstand being upside down; however, they made it through the journey successfully so that's the main thing!

    The first stop on the route was at Cascada Agoyan! This was a double waterfall and it had the option to add some adventure! So naturally, we decided to zipline across the waterfall superman style and then take a cable car back! The zipline was epic (it was my first time!) and it was so cool to fly along looking at such a nice view. The cable car was also a good way to take in the view fully on the way back.

    The second waterfall on our journey was Manto De La Novia. This one was larger and we were able to hike down to the waterfall so we were close enough to get slightly sprayed! Angus saw a little green snake on the way down the hike but luckily he slithered away before I saw it (thank god). We also saw a few other smaller waterfalls on the way.

    The last and most epic waterfall was Pailon Del Diablo. There are two different entrances to the falls, one that allows you to walk down these platforms/stairs and the other that has a suspension bridge and a view of the waterfall from above. We first went the platforms route where we had a 20 minute walk through the jungle before reaching the waterfall. Once we were there we explored the different viewing platforms and I was blown away by the scale of the waterfall. We then decided to take the trail that led to behind the waterfall but we literally had to crawl through a cave on our hands and knees. It was quite an adventure. From the other route it was a much shorter journey to the falls. We walked over a few suspension bridges and had an epic view from the top. We then took the trail behind the falls again and from this side of the park, you could get completely soaked and touch the waterfall (see video). I went underneath and was drenched in seconds and had puddles in my shoes the rest of the day (totally worth it... although the water washed off my sunscreen and now I'm slightly burnt)!

    We then returned home by riding in the back of this truck with our bikes before heading out to the hot springs! This was the perfect recovery activity after a long day. We were there with hardly any tourists and almost all locals. We had to wear swim caps and mine was highlighter yellow. We then jumped from the hot pool to the cold pool to the hottest pool to the mountain run off (freezing cold water pooled into a shower sort of thing off the edge of the mountain). Sticking with the waterfall theme, the hot springs were right next to a beautiful waterfall that had been lit up with different colours at night. Since there was no secure storage we didn't get any pictures... But just trust that it was epic and a very relaxing way to end the day. We then got dinner and it was delicious! All in all, another epic day!
    Read more