Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Nasca Lines

    May 21, 2023 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Today we took an early morning bus to the small city of Nasca. While the city itself is not that nice, it is home to the famous Nasca lines. The Nasca lines are massive lines carved into the desert and Andes Mountains by the Nasca people hundreds of years ago. It's estimated that these lines were worked on for over 800 years; however the reason behind why the lines were created is unknown. Currently, it is speculated that the lines were created as a means of worship and a place of ceremony and sacrifice. That being said, the real history of the lines is still an alluring mystery.

    The best way to see the lines is from a plane, so we boarded a tiny little 8 seater plane and flew around the desert and the Andes on a beautiful, mindblowing, and very wild journey. The lines themselves were very crazy to see and part of that was due to the mystery of it all. The lines were also massive as in up to 300 square meters. I have added many pictures of the lines and a caption saying which animal/shape they represent... you get the challenge of trying to find them (some it's easy, others... not so much)!

    We then had a massive lunch and spent the afternoon relaxing. We are currently at the bus stop waiting to take an overnight bus to Arequipa... luckily we have some ice cream to help us pass the time!
    Read more