Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Sandboarding

    May 20, 2023 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Today we had a relaxing morning in Huacachina. We played some cards on the beach, went for a walk, and had some lunch. At 4pm we set off for a Dune buggy and Sandboarding adventure through the desert.

    After climbing up the sand dunes to the meeting point, we boarded the dune buggy (we got to ride in the front)! We then zoomed around the desert and the ride was crazy but so fun. The drivers speed around the corners and up the hill and some on the slopes down were super steep! We were all cheering and laughing the whole time. Our guide then brought us to a cool viewpoint. We were lucky because our guide took us to viewpoints far away from other groups (some groups all went to the same areas which made them very crowded). Our viewpoint allowed us to see both the desert, the city of Ica, and the Peruvian Andes in the distance. It was incredible.

    We then continued to the slopes where we can go sandboarding. The biggest slope was very steep and we basically just laid on our boards and slid down (kinda like tobogganing only in the sand). I went first and the whole group was chanting my name! We then went onto two smaller hills where Angus and I tried standing on the boards and 'surfing' down. Angus was a natural and got it on his second try. It took me a few extra attempts but I managed to go down the hill surf style as well! We then did one last trip down the big hill before heading out for sunset.

    We got back in the buggy and our guide zoomed us up to the top of a sand dune where we watched the sunset. This was stunning... I don't really have the words to describe it. It is one of the most incredible sunsets I have seen with clouds that looked like paintings and dunes as far as the eye could see. It was insanely beautiful and topped off an absolutely wonderful day. After the sun set we got back in the buggy for one last thrill ride before heading back to town. When we emptied out our shoes back in town, we basically carried half the desert back with us!

    We then had some dinner and some Maracuya ice cream to finish the day (Angus and I are addicted to Maracuya)! What a day!
    Read more