Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    Copacabana and Isla del Sol

    June 10, 2023 in Bolivia ⋅ ☀️ 9 °C

    We have arrived in Bolivia! We had heard getting into Bolivia across the border would be challenging but we had the easiest time getting across. We then took a taxi into the town of Copacabana... This is not the same Copacabana from the song but that did not stop me from singing 'at the Copa Copacabana' every five minutes 😂.

    Copacabana is located on Lake Titicaca, which is both the highest navigable lake in the world and an important place in Incan culture. The Incas believed that the origin of the sun and the first people on earth emerged out of Lake Titicaca. It holds a special place in their culture and is often still a place for worship. After being in Copacabana, I can understand why they believed this to be the origins of the sun. Since we are at such high altitude here, the sun is very strong and bright and it shines right over the lake. The lake is incredibly sparkly due to the sunshine and seeing it shine was beautiful. The sunsets here are also stunning as the sun sets right in the middle of the lake.

    We spent a lot of time relaxing, playing cards, and just enjoying the view from our hotel (which overlooked the lake). We hiked 45 up a large hill to a look out point surrounding the city. This hike is actually a religious pilgrimage and provides many places for worship along the trail. The views from the top were very stunning and we then got to sit back and watch the sunset!

    On our last full day in Copacabana, we decided to take a boat to the Isla del Sol (Island of the Sun). This island had amazing hiking and we were able to see some incredibly beautiful views from the miradors (look out points) throughout the trail. We also visited the Sun Temple, which is an Inca place of worship for the Sun God. Overall this was such a beautiful day.

    On our final morning we said goodbye to Copacabana and now are heading for a short put stop (1 night) in La Paz!
    Read more