Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    Rio de Janeiro

    July 15, 2023 in Brazil ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Our last stop in Brazil was Rio de Janeiro. This is a beautiful and vibrant city. We stayed near Copacabana Beach and our room has a lovely view of the ocean. On our first day after we arrived we walked from Copacabana to Ipanema Beach. Both of these beaches had lovely views of the surrounding mountains. That being said it was VERY windy during our walk... see hair photo (you'll know what I mean 🤣). For dinner we got Brazilian BBQ and acai for dessert. A very delicious and traditional meal!

    The next day we went to see our second wonder of the world: Christ the Redeemer. This massive statue is very impressive to see up close, although the best part was the panoramic views of Rio. Everywhere you went you could look over and see a different section of the city. It was very crowded but worth it for the views. We walked Copacabana Beach again in the evening and prepared for our last night.

    On our final day in Rio, we again, were on the beach in the morning... after having a crepe of course! The most epic thing on this last day was attending the FluFla game! This is when the local derby in Rio happens and Flumenese plays Flamenga. We decided to cheer for Flumenese and we were glad we did as they were definitely a better and more entertaining team. The game ended 0-0 but there were 2 disallowed goals due to VAR and a red card and a fist fight and 3+ bicycle kick attempts... Definitely enough to keep you entertained. The atmosphere at the game was amazing and the fans were yelling extremely passionately. Soccer is such a big deal in South America that it seemed only fitting to have this be our last hurrah!

    Leaving Brazil seems so crazy. While we still have a few days in Panama, the trip is coming to a close and we are leaving the continent of South America. Brazil has been incredible. It is such a beautiful country and I have loved every day I was here. The people have been kind and friendly, the food has been delicious, and the beaches have been stunning. This was a massive change of pace from a much busier, more jam packed, and hike intensive start to the trip and it was very nice. It really allowed us to relax more and unwind. This trip has been amazing and ending it in Brazil was the perfect thing. Now on to a few last days of adventure!
    Read more