Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Barcelona Calatrava Tower

    November 6, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Day 6 [Monday]: A visit to the Calatrava Tower. Early in the morning we went by metro and then by bus to find this tower. We came in a neighbourhood not far from the Barceloneta beach. We could see the tall two towers. The apartments here looked very new and there was also a huge park, but it was not near the Calatrava Tower. Again, to avoid much walking, we decided to go there by taxi. It seemed to be situated near Mount Montjuïc. We tried to find the entrance but failed to do so. There are many steps here and we were already tired from walking. We took some nice pictures and from here we went by bus to our next goal, the Spanish Village (Poble Espanyol).

    The Calatrava Tower was designed by Santiago Calatrava. Construction began in 1989 and was completed in 1992. The white tower was built for the Spanish company Telefónica to broadcast television images of the 1992 Summer Olympics. The 136 meter high tower is located in the Olympic Park and depicts an athlete holding the Olympic flame.

    The foot is covered with 'trencadís', Gaudí's mosaic style made from the shards of broken tiles.

    Due to the position of the tower, it is also a very large sundial using Europe Square to indicate the time.

    A replica of the tower is given as a trophy in the Grand Prix of Spain.

    barcelona.com/barcelona_directory/monuments/cal…
    Read more