Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    The Pinnacles

    April 11, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    The Nambung National Park is the home of The Pinnacles and covers an area of 17,487 hectares. There are over 22,000 pinnacles there.
    The Pinnacles are about half a million year's old, formed during the Ice Ages and covered by the shifting sand dunes and then exposed around 6000 years ago. What are they? It isn't fully known - it's thought to be either an ancient petrified forest or remnants of a root-rich layer.
    Such ancient and amazing structures just had to be photographed.... and sunset was the best time to get the shots... or even better... after sunset. Especially on a night when the moon wasn't going to make an appearance until a bit later!
    Getting stargazing shots takes patience.... we had to wait in the middle of the desert for the sun to go down, then for twilight to disappear and it get dark. We started counting stars... then it became too many to count as the Milky Way opened up above us and our small but significant planet was put into context... interrupted by many satellites shooting from across the night sky.
    As clouds started to block the Milky Way we packed up and then had to find our way back in the starlight, walking through the ancient Pinnacle forest until we came across the path back to the carpark.
    Tomorrow we drive to Kalbarri.
    Read more