Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Exmouth - Whale Sharks

    April 16, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Seventeen years ago whilst
    on our honeymoon we spent a week diving in Exmouth.
    It was a very isolated part of the world. We were the only ones on the boat for the majority of the time.
    We missed snorkelling with whale sharks then, but vowed to return once we had kids old enough to appreciate the experience - well that was today.
    This morning we arose at 5:30am to prepare to meet the bus to go to the jetty. On the trip out we heard about the history of Exmouth - it was a farm and fishing area until
    the 1960s when the US Navy established a base to communicate with submarines. The area was a little bit of USA, with left hand drive vehicles and the US dollar being the currency. The US left in the ‘90s and Exmouth’s tourist industry grew.
    Anyway, we went snorkelling with Exmouth Dive - the same company we dived with 17 years ago.
    With a spotter plane also looking for whale sharks, it wasn’t long until we saw our first whale shark.
    In total we got to snorkel with 4 whale sharks - the biggest being around 7 metres long.
    It was an amazing experience and well worth the 17 year wait.
    Returning to the inner reef for lunch we came across two tiger sharks that we just cruising the shallows.
    After the dive we returned to the caravan park - disaster struck - Daniel’s MacBook decided to kick it in. If we can’t get it restarted, there will be limited images for the remainder of the trip.
    For dinner we went to the Whalebone Brewing Co. Macca and Daniel walked - they thought it was 800m. Turned out to be about 2km in the dark!
    Pizzas all round, whilst Daniel had a tasting platter of beers which did the trick for an early night before another day on the water for Claire, Helen and Daniel.
    Read more