Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    On the road to Gundagai

    June 8, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 12 °C

    With local competition games cancelled for tonight we took the opportunity to break the journey up with a 4 hour drive to Gundagai for an overnight stop.
    Looking to stop at Yass (100km north of Gundagai) we saw a truck suddenly stop up ahead and headlights.
    Instantly breaking, we slowed down and was waved down by the truck driver and stopped on the verge, otherwise we may have ploughed straight into the car sitting in the middle of the road.
    This car had sped past other drivers and the truck, narrowly missing a car and collided with the earth embankment on the left before flipping and coming to a rest.
    When we got there the driver was trying to get out of the car. The truck driver and Daniel kept him seated and assessed for injuries. He didn’t have a scratch.
    Others were on the phone (including a local off duty paramedic) to get police and ambulance there. We used ‘my three words’ to give a precise location - something from Daniel’s first aid course.
    The driver wanted to do a runner. He hadn’t seen how his car looked. There was the smell of alcohol and his phone was on the passenger seat with a map.
    Trucks were lined up and getting disgruntled that there night had been delayed.
    The police and ambulance arrived. He didn’t want to be assessed by ambulance. Police breath tested him and put him in the back of the paddy wagon. He won’t think he is lucky to be in the back of the paddy wagon right now, but it could have so easily have been a body bag.
    As we didn’t see the incident we didn’t have to give a statement.
    The police allowed us to get going before all the trucks could start clogging up the road.
    Having stopped, we skipped Yass - unknowingly that was the last Ampol service station before Gundagai.
    Read more