Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Kodiak Island Alaska

    April 20 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 39 °F

    We arrived in port around 7am and had an alarm set for 8:30 just in case. Today we clear customs…maybe. They have been calling floor by floor, we were last before the staff. Shouldn’t have been a problem right? Surely everyone Would follow directions right? Everyone would have all the documents requested, in hand and completely filled out? Surely, SURELY?!?!

    Then I remembered we are back in the US. And we are tendering. Starting at 8…after clearing customs…the first group left at 8:30.

    Currently it is 11:44am, over three hours since the whole thing started. We are stuck in line. The boat leaves at 6pm. We have to be onboard by 5:00pm but the last tender is at 5:30?!? I don’t know where the previous good sense flew off to.

    And I’m putting this in here because I’m out of excuses for a certain group of people for mom. I cannot believe how rude, loud, disrespecting this group has been. They ALWAYS ( not occasionally) ALWAYS CUT LINE!! In the halls, in the restaurants, seats in the theater and they don’t care.

    Anyway we get through customs about 12:30am. On to the next queue! The staff handled this one well, rows of chairs each line the number of people who could fill a tender boat. Around 1:30pm we got the go-ahead to board. By this point it’d started raining.

    Throughout the process everyone kept mostly calm and still had a good attitude. The town of Kodiak was quite small. There was a mudslide behind their McDonalds. We walked through a small shopping center that felt like Oak Ridge Mall for some reason. We met some of the Ulukaq ladies, who told us about some of their history. Their museum was currently being remodeled. One young lady was selling stickers.

    Next we went to the wildlife museum. But seems like Norwegian scheduled an expensive tour to a place less than two blocks from the harbor. It was getting to be a little too crowded for me. We headed back to the huge line to wait for a return tender. The people on this cruise are really great, funny and chill.

    Back on the ship we ate some of the tea time snacks. Then we headed back to our room 8598.
    We captured some food and brought it back to our cabin.
    Read more