Satellite
  • Day 65

    Musala Peak 1/2

    July 9, 2018 in Bulgaria ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    Today, I wanted to make it to the top of Musala (2925m), the highest peak between Alps and Caucasus in Europe. Unfortunately, the the gondola did not work which would bring me to 2300m.So, I decided to give it a try from Borovets (1300m)

    I started hiking. I sweated excessively. The only things you hear is your own breath, the river and a few birds. My heart was pounding heavily as the air got thinner. After climbing up for 3,5hours of a demanding hike trough forest, a pathway that partly turned into a river, I reached the top of the Gondola Yastrebez on 2300meter.
    There, it was extremely foggy and an icy wind blowing into my soaked clothes. From there I'd still needed around 2,5hours to the top and I had to come down as well. So, I decided to turn back and enjoy the tour instead of making a survival trip out of it.

    I only met 4 persons and two dogs along the way. One dog tried to eat me while he only wanted to play...as he was pretty tall, I did not like the idea too much :D

    The landscape is just amazing. You can watch how it turns from a dense wood into an open landscape after passing the tree line. Sun finds its way trough the foggy clouds and the water vaporizes into the air between the plants. The Bistritza river is floating heavily downwards and partly floods the path.

    Thanks for this lovely 6hours hiking trip Mountain Musala in the Rila mountain region. I'll find a way to continue exactly where I stopped to reach the peak someday ;)
    Read more