Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Day 10 Ghent

    September 9, 2023 in Belgium ⋅ 🌙 27 °C

    We had planned our route well last night. Intended to leave at 8.30, and left at 8.29. So a walk, then a short train ride to the main station and then waited there for over an hour for our train to Antwerp. The train was a bit late so we missed our connection, but as it was an open ticket we were fine and just caught the next train to Ghent. The first train was nice and comfortable. The 2nd one was extremely hot. We were sitting over from a man from Palestine who had paid 12,000 euros to get a false passport and get into Belgium 5 years ago. Currently he can’t leave Belgium as he still isn’t legal and wouldn’t be able get back in. He wants to as he isn’t happy with the administration here. It was interesting talking to him.

    We arrived around 1pm and it was very hot. It took a while to find our tram and we weren’t convinced we were going the right way, but all was good. The 350m walk seemed a really long way towing the bags. Last time I weighed mine it was nearly 12 kgs. And that was before the crocs appeared. But when we got to our accommodation it was just amazing. We are in an underground room and it has air conditioning, very exciting! So we rested for a couple of hours just cooling down and I had a shower.

    Then off in search of a good ole Belgian waffle. We walked around for a bit, tried some individual chocolates, couldn’t buy many due to them melting. And then had an awesome waffle with cream and fresh fruit. Yummy.

    The old town of Ghent is just lovely, amazing buildings every way we turned. We took quite a few pics, and then found a spot sitting beside the canal in the shade and were there for quite a while, just watching all the different water vehicles going down the cancel. There were so many different ones, and varying levels of sobriety and noise levels.

    We have both been pretty tired today, moving around in this heat has taken it out of us. So visited a supermarket in the way back, simple ham and salad for tea which was just perfect.

    When we got back our host visited us, Franky. He seems really nice and we sort of wish we were staying here longer. The room is huge as it can sleep 9 and also has a couch and table. We are currently watching game shows in English as it is the only tv channel in English. Quite nice having something playing in the background. Watching Friends in German in Nuremberg wasn’t quite the same. So expecting to have an early night and more exploring in the morning.

    13,413 steps and a very very hot 34 degrees.
    Read more