Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 57

    Panama Canal Day!!!

    April 17 in Panama ⋅ ☁️ 33 °C

    The main event of today was a trip to see the Panama Canal! A modern wonder of the world (apparently). The canal was constructed by the Americans over the course of a decade and opened in 1914, on the exact day that WWII started. Since then over 1m ships have used the canal to avoid the lengthy and precarious detour around the bottom of South America. We know these facts because we were told them during an Morgan Freeman narrated IMAX documentary at the visitors centre.

    Whilst we were at the canal we saw a container ship, cruise ship and another sort of cargo ship make their way through, with the operation of the various doors and waterways.

    This wasn't the only thing we did today however! We started the day with a haircut (went quite well) and took more cash out. We've been taking a lot of cash out lately as we have to pay for our San Blas islands adventure. At 11am we went to a briefing about this adventure before it starts tomorrow, which gave us the opportunity to meet out guides and our fellow island hoppers. They seem like a good bunch with plenty of people from the UK!

    After the canal we took an Uber back to our hostel to watch the second half, extra time and penalties of Man City v Real Madrid. We then went to the big supermarket to pick up snacks, drinks and most importantly alcohol for the San Blas trip.

    Once back from the supermarket we packed our bags, made dinner and then I DEMOLISHED Dan 3-1 at pool to leave Central America as the reigning pool champion.

    This will be our last footprint for a few days as there's no (or very little) signal or electricity on the San Blas islands so will be back stronger with a mega update on either Sunday evening or Monday!
    Read more