Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18–23

    Turkish Bath, Spice Market, & More

    September 17, 2023 in Turkey ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    There were many Turkish bath houses in Istanbul. We felt very fortunate to have gotten into The Hagia Sophia Hurrem Sultan Bathhouse, which lies between the Hague Sophia and the Blue Mosque. From the bathhouse, it was a short walk to either Mosque. The bathhouse itself is a sixteenth-century Turkish bathhouse. It was commissioned by Hurrem Sultan, consort and wife of the Ottoman sultan Süleyman the Magnificent. The last renovation was in 2011.
    Today, we visited the Spice Market or Spice Bazaar. It was built in 1664. It's a very colorful bazaar that offers countless spices, Turkish treats, which they were continuously giving out different samples to try, soaps, and a variety of other Turkish made items. It was fun to see a Turkish man giving out samples with an Arizona t-shirt on. I had to have my picture taken with him.
    One of the most famous palaces in Istanbul is the Topkapi Palace. It's set on top of the most visible hill of Istanbul and is said to be the symbol of the city. Opulent, decadent, and steeped in history, it offers visitors a chance to get to know the Sultans of the Ottoman Empire rather more intimately. Rather than one building, it was a collection of buildings, each showcasing some of their most prize possessions. The most prized single item is the Spoonmaker's Diamond. It weighs 86 carats on its own and is surrounded by a double row of 49 old-mine cut diamonds. Various stories are told about the Spoonmaker's Diamond. Another amazing structure was the Bascilica Cistern.
    This subterranean structure was commissioned by Emperor Justinian and built in 532.AD. It's the largest surviving Byzantine cistern in İstanbul. It was constructed using 336 columns, many of which were salvaged from ruined temples and feature fine carved capitals. It was amazing how big it was.
    We enjoyed a late traditional Turkish lunch of shish kabobs sitting on mats on the floor. We were wondering how we'd get up, but thankfully, we made it up after two beers🍺😁and we were off to get our massages at that bathhouse to end a beautiful day.
    Read more