Satellite
  • Day 4

    Bratilava

    May 30, 2018 in Slovakia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Let’s go to Bratislava Suzie says. Ok sounds good, off we head, not knowing anything about it or what to expect. I know it’s in Slovakia, a different country, so passports are gathered and of we go.

    Just getting to the train station was an experience, no bikes were available so we decide to walk. Time was getting short, so jump onto the U then a change to another. Little stressed, I was getting worried we would miss the train, they run every hour. We finally arrive at the central station. Up 2 levels to get to the international train station with 9 mins to go - Still stressed I grab the tickets. We Make it to the train with a few minutes to spare.

    The trip to Bratislava is 1 hour, we travel through the Austrian countryside heading east towards Slovakia. The landscape is predominately farming and wind farms.

    On arrival at the train station I expected to go through immigration but no, nothing. No stamps today -first time I have cross a country border and not due immigration.

    Bratislava is know for the old town area, we pass the Presidential Palace on the way to the old area. This was originally the summer palace, which was built in the 18th century. Today it is the home of the president.

    The Old Town Hall was built in the 15th. century, We certainly were going back in time. The buildings are not in top condition but this adds to the charm. This is certainly a very touristy spot, the place is filled with restaurants and souvenir shops but still quiet charming.

    Wandering up and down small alley ways we make our way through the old city. We have lunch at an authentic Slovakian restaurant. I have cabbage soup which is delicious 2nd course of gnocchi with bacon. Hmm what can I say, the gnocchi is white and the bacon is the bacon fat that has been fried. Not for me, not very nice at all. The 3rd course was apple strudel, it was delicious. Not the best meal I have had But at least we all tried local food.

    Continue on through the narrow laneways and lots of stairs until we come to the castle. We are certainly getting our exercise today. The Bratislava Castle was the coronation seat of the Hungarian empire in the 16th. century. It’s in very good condition and well worth a visit. The view from here overlooks the Danube, the city centre and wind warms for as far as the eye can see. There’s a spot crossing back to the old city where you view the old stone walled city and the new fancy bridges over the Danube. Quite a good comparison of old vs new.

    Time to return to Vienna as the first Boylesque festival is tonight. A full brief of this event will be done after tomorrow nights show.
    Read more