Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Sound of Music

    June 2, 2018 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    The original Sound of Music Tour, I don’t do many tours but this seems a mandatory in Salzburg. The tour takes you to several locations around Salzburg where the film was shot. We travel through the city of Salzburg to the lake where the Von Trapp children capsized learning that Gretal nearly drowned during the taking of this scene. The film is based on the broad way show which was based on the book by Maria Von Trapp but several facts were changed along they way. For instance Maria was originally employed to look after only 1 child, between Maria and the Captain they had 10 children and escaped the Nazis by train not escaping over the mountain.

    We saw the rotunda where “16 going on 17” was filmed and the “Do Re Me” steps. Along the way the soundtrack is playing and a sing along is mandatory. We visit the town of Mondsee, here the church that was in the wedding scene is found. Except for the balcony where the nuns watched from it is exactly as it was in the film. It was a great opportunity for us to also see the lakes district outside of Salzburg.

    We finish the tour in the Mirabelle Gardens, many of the scenes were filmed from here. If is Salzburg I would recommend this tour.

    Once the tour was over we ventured into the old town. This was quite an eye opener, the buildings were amazing but all filled with very expensive shops, Louis Vuitton etc.

    Time for a couple of quiet beverages, a Prosecco was €4 approx $7 so pretty good I thought. At the hostel a large bottle of Prosecco €11, I’m not complaining.
    Read more