Satellite
  • Day 46

    Day 23: eternal ice and 20m visibility

    June 29, 2016 in Norway ⋅ 🌬 8 °C

    Today I crossed Norway's highest glacier and second highest mountain peak at 2465m. I had heard the view from up there is amazing, but I actually cannot attest to it...

    When I left for the ascent in the morning, the forecast was fine and the weather looked ok with some clouds on the very top. My friends the reindeer accompanied me once more, see picture 1 on the snow :)
    But the higher I got, the thicker the clouds formed, allowing for no more than 20 meters visibility for some of it. It was easy to lose the trail markings, so I had to use map, compass and gps to find my way. I walked through fog, light snow and eventually a minor snow storm, but thanks to the right equipment did not get cold. The secret: layers! The base layer is a thin longsleeve that dries quickly, then the isolation layer (eg fleece, which I skipped because it would have been too warm), then isolation and windstopper (I have a light weight down jacket) and then a wind and rain resistant layer to keep the warmth in and the cold and at out (=rain jacket).

    The hike was pretty exhausting, almost 9 hours in total, mostly scrabbling over rocks and very steep throughout. I'm camping close to a mountain inn, so I got to take a hot shower and sit in the warm by the fire for a bit!! I don't doubt I'll sleep like a rock tonight :)
    Read more