Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 115

    All that glitters

    February 19, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Paid my money to visit the the Palazzo Reale, home of the Norman Kings, but the Royal Appartments were closed so I could only see the Cappella Palatina which is another UNESCO Heritage edifice.
    The chapel, consecrated on Palm Sunday, 28 April 1140, is famous for its mosaics - probably laid by the same chaps that did the Martorana and the central apse of the Cathedral in Cefalù.
    They are believed to have been made for
    We don't know for certain when the mosaics were made, but the mosaics of the nave and aisles were most likely made during the rule of William I (1154-1166), the second King of Sicily, ( 4th son of Roger II and Elvira of Castile,) also known as Gugghiermu lu Malu. (William the Bad / Wicked)
    The sanctuary, dedicated to Saint Peter, is reminiscent of a domed basilica. It has three apses, as is usual in Byzantine architecture, with six pointed arches resting on recycled classical columns and with many Arabic inventions such as the muqarnas ceiling.
    The apex of the dome consists of the Christos Pantokrator, with rows of angels, prophets, evangelists and saints.
    Better and more photos can be seen online; worth the effort.
    Read more