Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 238

    Not Mine

    June 22, 2019 in Italy ⋅ 🌧 18 °C

    We stayed in the town of Cave del Predel a short distance from Sella Nevea along the valley used troops since Roman times to invade the Central European plains from the coastal area, and vice versa.
    Apparently, a longlong time ago a magician lived in one of the surrounding caves together with his daughter and a stash of loot. The lass was the local beauty queen who loved and was loved by, the handsome prince living in a castle under the summit of Cinque Punte mountains. (We remarked at the 5 digits on the skyline.)
    In those days young lovers ran arm in arm through the meadows, bathed chastely in the waters of the lake, made garlands from dandelions and no doubt kissed each other romantically in the moonlight whilst dreaming of a glorious future together. They did all of those things it is recorded (orally.)
    But the lonely, unkind magician saw this union as an affront to his authority and determined to stop the marriage. Which of course he did, by casting spells that transformed his daughter into Monte Re and the prince into the Predil valley. And so the magician remained alone, filled with hatred but very rich.
    After a few centuries people arrived in the area and started looking around for useful stuff. As soon as they found the treasure however, the magician transformed them into minerals and hid them in the mountain.
    Ever since then, the townsfolk have been excavating tunnels into the mountain trying to locate the hidden treasure, but only coming up with zinc.
    Naturally, anyone who discovers the mysterious hiding place will break the curse and allow the 2 lovers to be re-united in human form. Unfortunately, this does not look like happening soon as the mine closed in 1991 and only tourist visit on a short train ride into the 130 km of tunnels still existing.
    Read more