Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 241

    Summit else to talk about

    June 25, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    In 1360 a young shepherd bot was grazing his cattle on the verdant grasses of the manga on Mount Lussari. As he idly sucked on a succulent grass stalk he came across an exquisite statue of the Madonna. Sensing a reward, he picked it up and delivered it to the village priest below in Camporosso. The priest, realising that his fortune was made, carefully wrapped it away in the vestry safe, planning a magnificent unveiling to the faithful on Sunday.
    But alas, when he came to retrieve the figurine before mass, the shelf was empty.
    Later, whilst everybody was tut-tutting about the thief in their midst, the shepherd boy found the Madonna in exactly the same place he originally discovered it. So he brought it back to the church with exactly the same result.
    History glides delicately over the number of times this cycle occurred before the penny dropped. Suffice it to say that they eventually realised that she belonged on top of Mount Lussari, so they built a chapel for her there and it has now grown to become A Sanctuary.
    Well, maybe the silver robes were a later embellishment.

    How Judith got in on the act is anyone's guess; but I wouldn't want to argue with her if that is what she desired. ... ... ...And 2 left feet.
    Read more