Satellite
  • Day 428

    Tanzanian wildlife

    December 29, 2019 in Tanzania ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Everyone knows that Tanzania is famous for its wildlife. The plains of the Serengeti are filled with flocking tourists, herding animals and solitary carnivores posing for their photos. One of the largest group are the toy Otas, usually peaceful but capable of running their prey to the ground with excessive bursts of speed.

    The Two-Tier Tanzanian economy is geared to these rich pickings, picking up a significant contribution to the debt repayment plan. For example, just to cross the Ngorogoro park on the way to the Serengeti costs USD73 each way. That is more than I paid for an annual National Parks pass in Australia. Most prices though are carefully calibrated to be the same as in Europe. I found a real, brewed coffee the other day in a Muzungu cafe, (Tanzanians only drink sachet coffee,) which cost me TSH 3000 about 1 Euro 20.

    If you haven't seen a Game Park I suppose it is worth it. Having seen the surrounding countryside and numerous pictures of the Serengeti, I find it rather like an extended Longleat, with stately tents instead of stately houses. The Kruger in South Africa is probably a better bet and my favourite was the Hluhluwe Imfolozi Park, though I visited in the last century so who knows what its like now.

    Here anyway are some of the less frequently photographed animals, starting with the compound beasts Tiger and Nala, both desperate for attention and sympathy but uncertain medical condition.

    The Secretary bird was morosely hiding in the centre of town guarding the German boma, (fortified house,) that houses the Natural History Museum.

    I found the flamingo in a puddle outside the art centre. Is this called irony?

    I have no idea what the green creature is. As soon as it realised it was to be in a photo it accelerated away into the wild.
    Read more