Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 436

    Chip off the old block

    January 6, 2020 in Tanzania ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    Nyunga Joseph Nyunga started sculpting in 1964. He studied all over the world: North Korea, London, Paris, Swaziland, China, Berlin and Finland. This statue is in the style known as Kimbuga, the Kiswahili for Hurricane.

    Kimbuga lives in the ocean and sometime comes ashore in tidal waves. When coastal areas have been denuded of vegetation and forest cover, Kimbuga can strike far inland causing devastation. So we must educate people about caring for the environment.
    But Kimbuga can also be good for us. When Kimbuga smashes into a mountain causing landslides, the minerals inside are released to us. If gold, diamonds and other precious metals are there, the people will prosper.

    Kimbuga has advisors, small creatures such as insects and amphibians that help in defense. There is a toad in one mnostril and a tortoise in the other. When they emerge come out it is a sign of rain. On the left forearm can be seen a chameleon; sign of variability, of impending change.

    The snail on the bottom lip signifies peace: touch it and it withdraws into its golden shell.Under the mother figure a baby emerges cautious about what it will find. An example of not rushing into things.
    -------------------------------
    The other carvings had no explanation.
    Read more