Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Traditinal Turkish pottery

    April 21, 2022 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Pottery in Turkey is an important part of the culture and making pottery dates back to about 10,000 years ago to when the people in Turkey used pottery to start making useful things such as better and stronger vessels to store water and better and stronger pots which is still used today in certain cooking methods. One of the most popular methods is to use a clay pot with a lid filled with food to cook being placed over a fire and when the food is ready the lid be popped or smashed off to pour the stew.

    Today my Mom, Adelia, and I were kindly driven to the pottery workshop recommended by the hotel manager who drove us on his way to his house. Adelia and I were given a chance to shape some clay on their pottery wheel after a demonstration by one of the family apprentices. Then we were led to the basement to see all the masterpieces made by the pottery masters in the family. We saw 2 people painting the designs and a lot of beautiful pottery. Some of the pottery was glow in the dark. It was definitely worth checking out and we got some good pottery, including one beautiful piece by an artist we met!
    Read more