Satélite
Exibir no mapa
  • Hiking the AT in CT in 3 Days

    28 de março de 2023, Estados Unidos

    Day 1: March 28, 2023
    Hoyt Rd Trailhead (Sherman, CT) to Dawn Hill Rd crossover (0.1 up from the Housatonic River in Cornwall Bridge, CT).
    Total miles today: 21.4.

    This began the 3 day jaunt through CT, completing the 50 miles from the NY/CT border to the top Bear Mountain, 1 mile from the MA border. We used the Litchfield Inn in Litchfield CT for our home base each night. Karina dropped me off at 8 am each morning & picked me up at 6 pm each evening. Wash, rinse, repeat.

    This first morning, the rain was just ending and it was @ 35 degrees. Got up to 46 for a high with clearing skies. Karina dropped me off at the trailhead next to the Welcome to CT sign.

    This first day had a couple of decent climbs up, but was definitely the easiest of the 3 days.

    Started up the 1,000 ft Ten Mile Hill right off the bat, and continued on through rolling pine forests beautifully lined with mountain laurel.
    After paralleling the Housatonic River for close to an hour, I crossed down the road very close to Bull’s Bridge (an 18th Century covered bridge with some historical significance), but was in a groove and wanted to keep going.
    Headed up Schaghticoke Mountain late in the am that had nice views of the River Valley.
    Came down off the mtn, went across Route 341, and was greeted by pastoral farm lands and a winding River. The road crossing was 0.8 from downtown Kent, CT & the Kent School.
    Up we went for the next 3.5 miles to the summit of Caleb’s Peak (1,200 ft). Wonderful views of Kent from up there. Was not necessarily ready for the 800 ft decent straight down the St. John’s Ledges on the other side. But was happy that the steep rock face was dry and that I took it slow. Didn’t see anyone all day and it might’ve been a while before someone found my carcass.
    After the decent, was able to relax and lower the heart rate with a nice 5 mile walk along the Housatonic to my meet up place with Karina at the Dawn Hill Rd crossover.

    Dinner and wine at Da Capo Italian restaurant was amazing and I felt like I do normally after a marathon. A great first day.
    Leia mais