Satellite
  • Day 7

    Goa Chitra

    February 4, 2019 in India ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    The Goa Chitra is a museum based in the former Portuguese colony (and now India's smallest state) of Goa. It has a large collection—over 4000 artefacts [1]—focusing on Goa's traditional agrarian technology and lifestyle.

    Goa Chitra is based in the coastal Goan village of Benaulim. It was founded and is run (2010) by the artist-curator-restorer Victor-Hugo Gomes. TimeOut Mumbai has described the museum as "[o]ne of Goa's most charming attractions" and add that "this little rural complex houses thousands of traditional implements, vessels and tools that evolved over centuries in the agrarian heartland of Goa in the service of farming and other traditional trades".

    Goa Chitra's collection includes examples of local pottery, farming tools, musical instruments, ancient carts and palanquins — from different points of the past. It also showcases an organic farm for the cultivation of various vegetables, herbs, spices, sugarcane, and rice — all staples of the area in coastal western India.

    The Goa Chitra Museum has been rated by the Archaeological Survey of India as the "topmost contemporary museum" in India.
    Read more