Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    It's electrifying!

    October 3, 2019 in Hong Kong ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Rolling out of bed at the leisurely hour of 7am we woke to a very soggy Disney Resort after last night's continual heavy rain. In fact it was so heavy last night that the nightly fireworks were cancelled, which was disappointing, but expected. Luckily we had a great view of the fireworks on our first park day. One of the best parts of that show was listening to the appreciative 'ooohs' and 'aaahhhs' from the Chinese. If I ever do a live stand up show I want these guys as my ring-in audience!
    Anyway, we had packed our stuff and trundled through the grand foyer for the last time. We wont see you real soon Shanghai Disneyland, but we loved our time here and we'd definitely love to come back at some point. Our cab ride took us about 25 minutes and again I was astounded at the endless parade of massive apartment blocks and those under rapid construction. If Jacinda really wants KiwiBuild to work she needs to get these lads on the job, as I'm sure they could knock up 100,000 houses in about 18 months, and at a third the price!
    We arrived at Shanghai Pudong airport just after 8am, were through security and immigration in about five minutes (take note America!!!) and checked in for our Hong Kong flight. The next two hours were spent in the blissful environs of the Cathay Pacific lounge, complete with a noodle bar and impressive selection of food and drink, including highly addictive custard dumplings.
    Our Shanghai-Hong Kong flight started boarding just before 11am and we were in the air about 11.30 for our 2 and a half hour flight. This gave us enough time to scoff another delicious two course Cathay lunch and me time to watch the movie Yesterday, which is charmingly funny and well worth a couple of hours.
    Our Cathay Dragon A321 touched down at Chep Lap Kok airport just after 2pm and a mere 15 minutes later we were through immigration, had collected our luggage and were waiting for our pre-booked special transport. I could have taken the Airport Express train into Kowloon, but when I was online checking airport to city connections last night I noticed one option was a chauffeur driven Tesla. By law, nerds must take a Tesla if it is available, and I'm nothing but law-abiding, so I booked this option. After a little aimless wandering at the terminal trying to find our chauffeur we finally tracked him down and sat back into the leather clad luxury of the world's best electric car. The next half hour will stay with me for a long time. I WANT one of these cars. The centre console is a massive touch screen and the acceleration blows your hair back more than a V8 powered hair dryer! Reluctantly getting out of the Tesla we checked into the Intercontinental and are currently enjoying our room's glorious view of Hong Kong harbour. Tomorrow the sightseeing whirlwind warms up.
    Read more