Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Boysenberry time

    October 11, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Disneyland is number one for theme parks, and nowhere else evokes quite the same feelings and memories. But, a visit to Disneyland needs to be organised like a military campaign, and it is not what you'd classify as relaxing. That's why it's a popular change of pace to visit nearby Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park.

    There was no need to rush to be in the queue for early entry (they don't offer it), Knott's opens at a gentlemanly 10am, and it was a delightful difference.

    There is one exception to all this calm, lack of frenzy, and that is Ghostrider, the biggest and best wooden coaster in this part of the world. When the gates at Knott's swing wide, it seems as though every person swarms towards Ghostrider.

    It is a must-ride for me, and I arrowed towards the wooden giant once inside the park, only to be met by an immediate 60-minute queue. As much as I love this coaster, 60 minutes? Nah!

    Change of plan. Everybody wanting to ride Ghostrider meant every other ride in the park was virtually a walk-on. Jackpot!

    I managed to ride Supreme Scream (the towering drop ride) twice in five minutes, then moved on to the Jaguar rollercoaster, and Calico Mine Train.

    By this time I thought I might just check the Ghostrider queue again. What do you know, it's a walk-on. Those fools running here at park opening (including me)!

    Rides in the bank, all that walking had built a mighty hunger. Time for some of Knott's famous fried chicken and boysenberry pie.

    The chicken was passable, but luckily the boysenberry pie was scrum-diddily-umptious. Did you know that Knott's actually helped create and popularise the boysenberry? True story.

    Refueled by consumption of mass quantities, it was time for Round 2. This included Coast Rider, Camp Snoopy, Beary-Tales and the insane Silver Bullet rollercoaster.

    After this buffet of great rides, the only polite thing left to do was to exit via the gift shop.

    A quick break to drop off Knott's merchandise was a pause before the last food splurge of this visit. Naturally this meant The Cheesecake Factory. Could it be anywhere else?!

    And that completes this broadcast day. Another amazing, fun and food filled frenzy.
    Read more