Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day 10

    June 4, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Travel day! We took a shuttle from Kona to Hilo, with many stops in between!

    The First stop of the day was Greenwell Farms, which was a Coffee Farm Tour. This farm began in 1850 on the fertile soil in Kona. It maintains coffee orchards on 85 acres, and it controls and manages another 60 acres of coffee for other landowners. It is one of the largest and oldest coffee producers in Kona, and it plans to remain sustainable for futures to come! Their coffee was sooo GOOD!

    Next, we stopped at Rainbow Falls. It was a beautiful waterfall! After Rainbow Falls, we stopped at a local cacao farm. Cacao is the plant that creates chocolate! Hawaii is the only place in Native America where cacao can be farmed. We learned the process of harvesting cacao, which is pictured. In addition, we learned the many benefits of the cacao tree like the shade it provides, it increases biodiversity on farms, it reduces the need for added chemicals, and it provides additional food and income for the farmers. The environment in Hilo is what creates the cacao to grow successfully, because it provides plenty of rain. Knowing this, cacao is a sustainable plant that can provide for the people now and those in the future. The chocolate that we got to try from this cacao farm was the BEST chocolate I have ever had. I even got to purchase some for friends and family to try and they loved it too! I’m grateful I got to support this local farm with my purchases!

    Later this evening, we visited Volcano National Park! This park protects some of the most unique geological, biological, and cherished cultural landscapes in the world! It includes the Mauna Loa, which is the Earth's biggest volcano, and Kilauea, the Earth's most active volcano. We walked the trail to see the erupting Kilauea late at night, which is pictured! It was such a unique experience! It was interesting to see an active volcano so close! Even though it was an amazing experience, the park emits noxious gases that can pose serious human and ecosystem health concerns. On the plus side, geothermal power is produced by the volcanos which is an inexpensive alternative energy source. The Hawaiian Islands were built over millions of years by lava flows. The lava flows have provided the fertile soil in which crops such as pineapples, sugar cane, and coffee thrive, and lush tropical vegetation flourishes. Which ultimately makes the unique environment that is Hawaii!
    Read more