Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Old Sacramento - capitol of California

    November 25, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    25.11.2019

    Can you imagine how picturesque the Golden West once was?
    An amazing impression about that gives you the old center of Sacramento!

    We started early from our RV park to avoid the daily masses strolling through Old Sacramento, the towns historic district.
    That was a brilliant idea because around early noon the whole thing became very crowded😲!

    When leaving the interstate which leads you straight into the city, as a first landmark you cross Sacramento bridge, a vertical lift bridge across the Sacramento River.

    Built in 1934 the bridge style represents a rare use of Streamline Moderne architectural styling in a lift bridge, making it an outstanding expression of the social and architectural climate of the period of construction.
    The lift span towers were sheathed in steel to streamline its appearance.
    The American Institute of Steel Construction gave the Tower Bridge an honorable mention for its Class B prize bridge award in 1935.

    When crossed the bridge the next ramp brings you direct to the Old Sacramento district.
    Be early because as less cars you have parked on the roads as more it feels like a journey through time in the old west.
    Wooden sidewalks, beautiful restored buildings with steel porches all over gives you an autentic feeling how living in California once was.
    There is a fully operated railwaystation and haul engines from different decades are placed in front of it.
    Further down the street you find sallons, shops and also a little hotel which offers rooms decorated like years ago.

    It`s a funny trip for spending the day in Sacramento and it took as so long to explore that a visit to the modern Sacramento was pushed to the future.
    Read more