Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Amsterdam Museums and Wandering

    April 4, 2019 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    Yesterday was so fun. Our first night in Amsterdam, we only really checked out the red light district, and didn’t love it. But yesterday, we wandered all around the outskirts of the city and fell in love.

    We started our day with a delicious healthy breakfast at a little cafe on a canal. Fresh squeezed orange juice, avocado egg toast, and goat cheese and jam toast with lots of veggies. Then we walked over to the Anne Frank Museum, which is only a few blocks from our place. The museum/house was really cool but also very depressing!

    After Anne Frank, we wandered around the canals for hours. We stopped in at a few pubs, people watched, and window shopped at some cool second hand good stores and record shops. Next up was the Van Gogh museum. This was probably my favorite museum I’ve been to, it was very cool! His artwork and his life story is pretty incredible and crazy.

    We had skipped lunch so by now we were starving. When we had first arrived in Amsterdam, I had looked up restaurants on TripAdvisor. An authentic Nepalese restaurant is ranked the #1 out of almost 4,000 Amsterdam restaurants. I’m still not sure what the Nepalese influence is but several of the reviews said stuff like “while in Amsterdam, I knew I had to try Nepalese food”. Anyways, the restaurant was on our walk back towards our neighborhood so we popped in around 6:00 before the dinner crowd had arrived (apparently the wait can be hours long). We were the first to arrive but by the time we left it was completely full. We split the chicken momo (Nepalese style dumplings) and bbq lamb, with three different delicious sauces. It was so yummy. After we left, I still wasn’t completely full, so we split a small fries from a walk up fry stand.

    For the rest of the evening, we just wandered around the canals and made our way home. We had an early night and got a good night’s sleep. Up early to head to the tulip gardens today!!
    Read more