Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Small steps!!

    May 2, 2022 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    04.00h. Its was still pitch black outside. So we decided that it might be too dangerous to climb a "mountain " during darkness.
    Around 05.00 we got in front of Lieske and started the engine.
    We arrived at the downhill parking of the Preikestole 15min later. Had a quick breakfast and started the 4km, 2hours hike to the famous rock.
    And to be honest. This was the right time to do it. Not only in hours but also in age.
    It was not, and I repeat, it was not a "walk in the park"..
    As we set of, the first climb already got me. And there were a lot more to come. Some nicely prepared with boulders which created a stairway, sometimes a steep path through snow and ice.
    And every time you managed to conquer a steep hill, I got "disappointed" as it was for sure not the last one. Luckily we could enjoy the fantastic views and landscape. And.. we were all by ourselves.
    And finally...we made it.
    Pulpit rock, or Preikestole. Here we are.
    Father and son. We made it!!
    As we both are afraid of heights, I, as a father had no fear that Oscar would go too close to the edge. (That would have been different with Nika.)
    Anyway. We enjoyed the view. However misty and it starts snowing, it was worthwhile.
    Now... two hours back. .. and the worst fear waiting. Getting Lieske out of the steep valley we drove into. As she is very weak in climbing when the engine is cold, we decided to heat her up first, than pay the parking and hit the mountain. And... all went well. Back to the camping, had a quick shower and of we went. Into the direction of the upper main road to Oslo.
    This meant back to Stavanger, Haugesund and back. Or... taking the alternative.
    Oh yes. We did the alternative. Very, very steep climbs, unpaved roads! and of course a surprise around every corner.
    (Proud on our Lieske that she, however we hurt her,.. first gear, hauling engine.. she did it!
    It's not easy, as driver, owner and lover of this precious car. Is this what you want? Sometimes in fear - are we going to make it?- sometimes in doubt - is this what I want?-
    But every time as we arrived on our destination, and hide in her warm belly to get to sleep.. this is our, old lady. )
    Anyway. We made it to Røldal, we camped for the night, minus 5 degrees, but our bed was warm and comfy. Had a Viking Honour 12 years whisky to celebrate the achievements of the day and went to bed.
    Now....
    It's the morning of the 3th of May, had breakfast and getting ready for the jump to Oslo.
    Wish us luck!!
    Read more