Satellite
  • Day 77

    Exploring Lamu

    March 18, 2016 in Kenya ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    I actually carried around my DSLR today (I don't usually in cities), so unfortunately for all of you, I don't have too many pictures of Lamu to share! The ones I did post happen to have been taken right now, as I eat the fruit I bought at the local market from my hotel's balcony by the ocean front. Just as hot throughout the morning. Nice and breezy in the afternoon. We spent the morning getting somewhat lost in the back streets, somewhat following this walking tour suggested by the lonely planet. I was grumpy not having eaten, so we made a small detour to feed me. Sorry Jack...

    The doors have beautiful carvings, all houses have these inner courtyards, the women get to remove their veils inside so there's always a curtain in front of the door. Mini streets leading to more mini streets, and just as you think you've hit a dead end there's an opening somewhere. As soon as we exit the 2 downtown streets, again people are all saying jambo, smiling at us. Welcoming us. Truly warm people. There's cats everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Locals here feed them. There's donkeys all over also, including a "donkey sanctuary" just around the corner.

    I think both Jack and I are feeling the end is near, and we're reacting to it differently. Jack seems unable to make decisions, she wants to do it all but she wants to stay in Lamu for always. I want to relax, anywhere really. I feel very satisfied with what we've accomplished, I loved my time here, and I'm ready to relax before heading home and to work. I work a night shift within 24 hours of my arrival, so relaxing here is my only option. I've been short tempered for 2 days now, and I think my mind just doesn't know how to act when the end is so near... It's angry at me and won't let me relax and enjoy. Little annoyances like food taking too long to arrive are driving me crazy. I don't have time to waist! So many mixed emotions.

    That little rant comes from us spending the morning trying to decide when to leave. We made the decision to take a flight back to Malindi to save the bus time, but when to take it took a while. I was OK with staying in Lamu if that meant I could relax, which means Jack would have to go off and explore on her own. I was also OK with leaving and trying to get all our "planned" stops in (planned used losely here). Jack couldn't bring herself to chose. Staying here means not going to Watamu or the Gede ruins. She wants it all. Apparently our conclusion was to spend a lot of money. Lol.

    We booked a flight Sunday afternoon, a boat trip for tomorrow and just to top it off, a home cooked traditional meal with local music in some guy's house for tonight. We're going all out ladies and gents! I'll get to relax, and probably burn to a crisp, tomorrow all day on a sail boat. Jack will get to explore the streets when we get back and Sunday morning. Easy peasy.
    Read more