Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Diving Komodo 7

    February 24, 2023 in Indonesia ⋅ ☁️ 27 °C

    Last day of diving! The dingy had broken down the day before which is why we were jumping in and getting out directly from the big boat, which considering it's Komodo, made navigating the extremely strong currents quite difficult.

    On this first dive of our last day was off the little Batu Bolong island, very renowned among the Komodo Divesited. We jumped in and after a bit our divemaster decided the currents were too strong to dive, but as we looking to signal to the boat it was already on its way away from us. So we created a human life raft and swam as we could against the current to Batu Bolong Island. When we reached the first rocks and clung to them, the current seemed less strong so we submerged anyway. Underwater we saw an explosion of life, we barely moved 10-15m away from the first spot we submerged as the dive consisted of hanging on to coral or rocks and simply looking around. We sighted some turtles which had no problem swiming right up to us, huge fish of all colours and shapes (grojoers, surgeon, angelfish, box fish, etc), and even a black-tipped shark.

    After surfacing the boat was far away from us keeping safely out of the currents. It became quite the hairy adventure staying together and afterwards trying to get back on the boat while navigating such strong currents. I posted a video of the currents as seen from the boat, just to get an idea. The tricky thing is that there are dofferent currents going in all directions.
    Read more