Satellite
  • Day 76

    Port Arthur and the Coal Mines

    January 19, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    The last week we've few nights we've been staying at white beach caravan park, a great little spot with a lovely white sand beach and only 10kms out of Port Arthur.
    We went to Port Arthur yesterday and it was pretty amazing ( really sad too) we went to the ruins of the broad arrow cafe, which is within the grounds, where the massacre took place and there is a memorial there which was really sad. Included in the entry fee is a boat ride out to see the 'Isle of the Dead' island which is a tiny island that around 1000 convicts were buried on ( also priests and high class people who worked within the jail and their families ) they we buried up on a hill whilst the convicts were buried below them. Also takes you out to another island nearby which was the boys jail. Pretty heavy stuff! We were there for 5 hours and didn't get to everything.
    Today we went to the historic coal mines - in a different place but convicts were jailed there too, not touristy like post Arthur, but so interesting, the cells under ground looked awful - it was a bit creepy - we were the only ones there!
    Went to the remarkable cave too, beautiful spot, the pics don't do it justice at all. It's a huge cave but looks small in the pictures!
    Max has work on Bruny Island that he picked up from one of the national parks fellas out there that he befriended so tomorrow we are going back for a few weeks. Miss you all! Xxx
    Read more