Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    At the station

    November 7, 2017 in China ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Waiting for the train to Pingyao. Our guide brought us to the station and shepherded us through initial ticket check, bag security etc and brought us to our waiting room. She carefully explained our train ticket, made me photograph the timetable on her phone and repeatedly reminded me to hang on to the tickets and check our strain number carefully. Then she told me that even in Pingyao we could call her if we were in difficulties and left us to it.
    The waiting room is huge room gathering passengers for our train and one to Futian. All necessary items are here, free phone charging ingredients stations, WiFi (if I could read the login requirements) , hot water for your noodle bowl plus shops selling gifts, toys, pre-done duck, and books.
    People are friendly and helpful; the young man behind us has been chatting a bit with Dad. A couple who had snaffled seats offered me a small space next to them.

    Once the gates open it was a bit of a push and shove to get through the barrier and down to the platform. We are in first class for this trip, huge picture window and we feel quite low down. The seats are aeroplane like with recline facilities, foot rests and power sockets. Sadly my adaptor does not fit... This is an intermittent problem I could only use it in one socket in our hotel room!
    We have a bottle of water and a gift pack of snacks as a peek of first class travel. Not sure what the contents are, I can identify a biscuit and a sausage of unknown origin but the rest is a mystery.
    We are now some 100 miles or so west of Beijing heading to Pingyao. The train is smooth and fast 300 km/hr, there are frequent announcements.... Not least is the reminder no to smoke for which according to the 2006 and 2014 edicts is subject to a fine of 2000rmb and if you cause an serious consequences you will be detained...all delivered in voice reminiscent of an old audio version of Brave New World..... Eeek.
    Outside a flat landscape of farms and small towns hurtles past. It is very hazy and the air quality is poor, when we stop at the stations you can taste a chemical / metallic tang.
    Read more