Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Lisbon first look

    June 5, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Off the train, two stops on the metro and a short walk to our hotel in the heart of Baixa. Nice room, helpful staff and a perfect location. We set off towards the river, wandered into the Lisbon Story where we skipped the story but bought a book. (the siege of Lisbon). We then wandered across the rua Augusta Square and rode the lift to the viewpoint. Lisbon is a lovely city, Terracotta roofs, tiled frontages, and pleasing sense of not being all about the tourists,it feels lived in. From the arch we wandered towards Rossia and found a cherry brandy bar: gingha (sp?) a quick shot and we continued up steps and a steep street to a little square by the Carmo museum where a band was busking and the jacarandas were in full bloom.
    After a sit and gawp we walked down the side of the ruined church to the lift designed by Eiffel's apprentice. There was only one lift operating so the queue was long but made shorter when a party of tourists decided not to wait. The lift was part of the transport system so we had to validate our tickets on entry.
    We drifted back to the hotel where we picked up warmer clothing and a recommendation for where to eat and off we went again. The restaurant was only round the corner, but just enough off the tourist track. Good food, friendly staff and we got bonus sherry from our Nepalese server. Afterwards we took a lift and wandered up towards the castle and had a drink in a bar behind a shop up there. Mandy also bought enamelled heart earrings. We headed back but the lift exit was closed at the bottom now and we had a little excitement trying to find our way out. But eventually we got back to the hotel.
    Read more